VinylOut of stock
In stock, shipping now.
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
Released via Heavenly Recordings on April 28th, 2017.
Available on standard black vinyl with download, or CD.
While sharing roots with its two predecessors, on Gargoyle there’s a significant up-shift in the swaggering powerlode of such keynote songs as Nocturne and Beehive, while the lyrics’ tonal palette is more varied. The album title comes from a lyric in Blue Blue Sea – “Gargoyle perched on gothic spire” – and was chosen for its hint of self-deprecation. “I’m most proud of the songs that are atypical to stuff that I’ve done in the past” says Mark. “So I really like Old Swan, because it’s an expression of positivity, which is completely anti-anything I’ve done before!” He laughs. “Y’know, I haven’t played this record for too many people yet. I played it for Greg Dulli, who played on some of it, and he was like, ‘Wow, I had to listen to it twice – it sounds like he’s having a good time…’
It's been a long journey travelled, not always easy, but in 2017, at the age of 52, Lanegan's got the look of permanence about him. Like that gargoyle on the gothic spire….
MOJO – ★★★★★ The Observer – ★★★★★ Uncut – 8/10 The Guardian – ★★★★ Q Magazine – ★★★★ Louder Than War – 9/10
Digital Track List
- 1 Death's Head Tattoo Mark Lanegan 4:21 Buy
- 2 Nocturne Mark Lanegan 4:22 Buy
- 3 Blue Blue Sea Mark Lanegan 3:24 Buy
- 4 Beehive Mark Lanegan 3:49 Buy
- 5 Sister Mark Lanegan 5:03 Buy
- 6 Emperor Mark Lanegan 3:36 Buy
- 7 Goodbye To Beauty Mark Lanegan 3:15 Buy
- 8 Drunk On Destruction Mark Lanegan 3:25 Buy
- 9 First Day Of Winter Mark Lanegan 3:27 Buy
- 10 Old Swan Mark Lanegan 6:30 Buy